Wednesday, November 14, 2012

My Homemade Bread Recipe


Okay, folks. You asked for it so here it is.
I make our families' bread for many reasons. The main one being it is sooo much cheaper to make than it is to buy. Isn't that the case with so many groceries? It costs me right around $1 ($1.08 to be exact) to make one loaf bread. The comparable loaves at the store sell for over $4. That's a 75% savings for bread that tastes better and is better for you! I was really hesitant in the beginning to start making our own bread, but now its second nature to me. I have been making it for almost a year now, and I can honestly say we will never go back to store-bought bread again.

After a few botched recipes, burnt bread, doughy bread, and flat bread, I have found THE BEST method for bread making. It is pretty specific, has one 'special' ingredient, but the results are totally worth it!

I make the dough in my bread maker (that I found at the DI for $8), then transfer the half-risen dough into bread pans and let it finish rising and bake in my oven. (Thanks for that tip, Alesia!) This way, the bread gets well-kneaded without adding more flour, which can make the bread dry and crumbly. The kneading, in my opinion, is what makes the bread so perfect!
So, add these ingredients to your bread maker in this order:
2 1/2 Cups HOT water
2 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup oil (I use canola oil)
2 1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
Then sprinkle evenly over top of water mixture:
1/2 cup gluten flour
4 cups wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
Make a hole in middle of flour and add 1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast

Place your bread maker on the 'dough' setting, and let it do its work. I allow my dough to mix and sit in my bread maker for 30 minutes. The whole cycle is supposed to take an hour and  half, but remember, I let my loaves rise in their bread pans before hitting the oven. 
This recipe makes two loaves, so after I take the dough out of my bread maker, I split it down the middle, form two loaves, and transfer to well-greased bread pans. I use 9"x5" ceramic bread pans. The rest of the rising usually takes about 30 more minutes. I stick my loaves in a 350­ยบ oven when they are a little smaller than what I want them to be when I take them out. They will do a little more rising in the first 10 minutes in the oven. I bake them for 25 minutes, then immediately turn them on their side on a cooling rack. Letting them cool on their sides ensures the top won't deflate during cooling, and also leaves nice little guidelines on the side for cutting. 
Voila! Now you have homemade bread! 

**Some Notes**
*I have made this recipe with honey instead of sugar before. It works just as well, but does not freeze well. 
*I live at a high altitude, so the oven temperature, cooking time, and amount of flour may differ accordingly.
*The original recipe I followed was meant to be made in a kitchen mixer, so it is possible! I think the only difference is the order in which you add the ingredients. (Letting the yeast dissolve in the water, etc.)
*Gluten flour is hard to find! I buy mine in the bulk section at a Kroger store near me. It does seem expensive when you buy it, but remember the recipe only calls for 1/2 cup for two loaves.

Please let me know if you decide to try this recipe! I'd love to hear your input!

3 comments:

  1. So I've been meaning to try this and what with one thing and another I haven't gotten around to it. Do you use instant yeast or active dry? And where exactly do you get your gluten flour? Also, white or brown sugar? Maybe I can actually get around to this soon. And have you found a fabulous white bread recipe? Sometimes I get a craving for white bread and I haven't found a recipe that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use active dry yeast and white sugar. As far as the gluten flour, I used to get it in bulk from Smith's, but they just discontinued it a couple weeks ago. Now, their only option is a 1.5 lb. bag that's like $9! So, we actually just drove to the Winco in Ogden and bought 25 lbs. in bulk. I did talk to the management at Smiths and they said you can order a 25 lb. bag of the gluten flour if you want. And I actually use this same recipe for white bread and because of the gluten flour, its still really elastic and non-crumbly. I love it! Let me know how it works out for you; I'd love to get your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This. Was. AMAZING! Seriously! Thank you for the delicious and extremely easy recipe!!

    ReplyDelete