Saturday, January 19, 2013

On Vegan Eating

I've gotten a lot of questions since my resolution post about my goal of eating 5 vegan meals a week. I am by no means a vegan... not even a vegetarian! Eating 5 vegan meals a week is just a way for me to help myself eat more fruits and vegetables; something I am REALLY bad at. I watched this documentary once that I can't remember the name of that really drove home the point to me that its incredibly important to eat raw, organic, whole, natural foods. Since then, and a lot of research later, I've really tried to incorporate more of that into mine and my family's diet.
SO, here are some of my staple vegan meals:
Green smoothies or just regular fruit smoothies- made with juice instead of my regular yogurt
Salads with vinaigrette and nuts instead of creamy dressings
Veggie wraps- one of my favorites! I sautee sweet onion, red or green peppers, beans and mushrooms in sesame seed oil... delish!
Soups- the possibilities are endless!
If you think about it, there are LOTS of foods that can be made vegan, so I've tried to do that; nut butter toast, apples with nut butter, veggies on rice, veggies on noodles, fruit bowls, etc.

In our family we try to have a meatless dinner every Monday, which has helped us find yummy alternitaves to our usual meaty dishes. Its been a fun adventure!
Just to be clear, my reasoning behind eating a more plant-based diet is not founded by my belief system or any 'save-the-animals' motives. I simply want to eat healthier and save money doing it!

What about you? Have you ever eaten Vegan? What are your thoughts or reservations?

3 comments:

  1. I love vegan meals! I try to eat vegetarian breakfast and lunch, sometimes vegan. I don't see any problem with being a vegetarian or vegan. It would just be difficult to actually do, though very healthy. Have you heard of wordofwisdomliving.com? It sums up everything about nutrition and ties it to the Gospel. I love the advice given there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have perused that site before and really like it. I'm glad there are more mom's than I thought eating a more plant-based diet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, Brian and I totally do this too. I would have a really hard time being vegan or even vegetarian 100% of the time. But we totally try to incorporate vegan/vegetarian meals into our diet to be healthier. The longer I do it, the easier it gets. I like your idea for wraps. I also do a lot of soups, pastas, veggie quesadillas/tacos. So glad i'm not the only one:)

    ReplyDelete